Advance Clinical Clerkship (ME225.01 Endocrinology and Metabolism)
Course Objectives (in order of importance)
- Ability to understand the disease process in patients by integration of clinical findings (history and physical) with laboratory tests.
- Knowledge of the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of diseases of the pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, pancreas (endocrine), testes, and ovary.
- An understanding of the function of the endocrine organs, metabolism of their hormones, and their effects on the body.
- Ability to interpret the results of measurements of stimulation and suppression of the glands.
- Familiarity with the use of insulin, thyroid hormones, corticosteroids, androgens, estrogens, vasopressin, and other agents.
- Experience in interpretation of special procedures for visualization, scans, ultrasonography for tumor and organ visualization.
Students function as sub-interns in the inpatient consultation service as well as in the diabetes/endocrine clinics. The team consists of an endocrine attending and the student with or without an endocrine fellow. They also have an intensive experience with ambulatory endocrine cases. Attendance to endocrine conferences and rounds is mandatory.
Course Chair: Dorothy Martinez, M.D.
Phone: (310) 825-7922
Sheila Ahmadi, M.D., Peter Butler, M.D., Inder Chopra, M.D., Christine Darwin, M.D., Susan Davis, M.D., Andrew Drexler, M.D, David Geffner, M.D., Theodore Hahn, M.D., Jennifer Han, M.D., Anthony Heaney, M.D., Jerome Hershman, M.D., Vikram Kamdar, M.D., Stanley Korenman, M.D., Dorothy Martinez, M.D., Stephanie Smooke, M.D., Andre Van Herle, M.D.
Student Coordinator: Maribel Garcia
Phone: (310) 794-7555
Medical Plaza 200, Suite 530 at 8:30 a.m.
Available to Externs: Yes
Students / Period: max 2 min 1
Duration: 3 weeks
2012–2013 ROTATIONS BEGIN WEEKS:
PRIMARY CARE: 0%
CLOSE CONTACT WITH:
X FULL TIME FACULTY
For questions and inquiries about the Endocrine Clerkship, please contact Maribel Garcia at (310) 794-7555 or UCLA School of Medicine Clerkship at: http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/visitingstudents/
Please Note: Information on this website is now available for the 2012-2013 Academic Year
(July 2012 - June 2013) ONLY!!!
For all medical questions and inquiries, please call UCLA Gonda Diabetes Center (310) 825-7922.